Saturday, April 02, 2011

The end of the break

We woke up around 8:00 and left the hotel by 11:00 am. We traveled to Jim's grave, giving the boys the "when we were in college" tour. We started driving home around 11:30. The boys and Heather were all asleep by 1:00pm. We stopped in el Paso for lunch and in DeKalb to drop off the movie I rented for the trip. Once again I must say I love RedBox! I got one disc in Algonquin Wednesday for the drive down on Thursday. I returned that in a Peoria box Thursday and picked up a different title for the return trip. That one now lives in a box in DeKalb.
On this trip I saw that one of the Peoria Blockbuster stores was being closed. I popped in and bought $10 worth of discs for old time sake. The sad man behind the counter started at Blockbuster just after I did in 1994. He sounded sad to think that his job would not be around fir much longer. He has worked for the company for 17 years. His first inevitable question was, "do you miss it?". I told him that I did sometimes and that I was sad to see the concept go away. I did not share with him some of my usual discussion when the issues comes up. "when was the last time you walked in to a video store?" "Why would you want to collect store-bought video when you can stream Anything?!" All I could think of was the messages in Kevin Smith's Clerks movies. Those were some of the best times of my life.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home