Tuesday, October 19, 2004

Language

I have studied language all my life. I have a degree in one of Earth's languages. I enjoy the discussion of the use of language and came upon a great discussion tonight. Neighbor Dan and I wanted burritos for dinner, and I offered to get some for the two of us. I went to El Faro, one of the best Mexican restaurants in the Universe. I went there, and ordered. As the order taker was waiting for the meal to be prepared, he hurried around, making everything ready for the dinner rush. As our burritos were done, the preparer marked one burrito to signify that it contained a chicken burrito, and began preparing the other. The order taker looked at the first burrito and remaked to another server that he should look at it. The two men began laughing uncontrollably. The order taker asked the preparer, "Did you go to school?"
The preparer responded, "Yeah, in Mexico."
"Only in Spanish then?"
"Yes."
"Okay then."
The server was still laughing and the preparer still had no idea.
It turns out that the preparer had written "Chink" on the chicken burrito.
My childish knowldge of the Spanish language allowed me the glimps into the conversation.
Thank You Mrs. Janes, my High School Spanish Teacher.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home